Saturday, April 22, 2006

Maitland Steamfest

Okay I know it is now called Hunter Valley Steamfest but for some of us it always was and always will be Maitland Steamfest. After all it is centred on Maitland.

On approaching Maitland from the New England Highway heading south, or should that be east?, I noticed there was nothing to let visitors know there was something on in town. I understand there were signs coming from Sydney and from Kurri.


3801 arrived from Sydney in its new grey livery. Many people commented how it wasn't original but of course it is the livery it wore for the first few years until after WW2.


There were the usual stalls up the main street and plenty of food stalls but still I got a feeling of "seen it all before". Is it me or are some of these events getting a little stale?

Small traction engines and a donkey cart ran up and down the street but most of the action was in the steam rally which is over the line and by itself. Lots of traction engines, stationary engines and vintage vehicles as well as live steam model railway rides.

See the Golden Fleece tanker in the background? Now there is an image from my youth.

It was an enjoyable day although I didn't visit the small model railway display in the CWA hall. Will I go again next year? Probably after all it is almost a given but let's wait and see.

I have more photos and will upload some during the week. Next weekend is Winston Hills Exhibition for a real change of pace.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Seeing these images reminds me of fun times had on my fathers miniture traction engine in my youth towing the kids in the neighbourhood up and down the street. Alas liability insurance put bed to that.